A cheat day means Cakes. Chewy and chocolatey cookies. Ice cream. Chunky, fresh-from-the-oven brownies.
These are some of the most popular desserts a lot of us cannot easily resist. We often eat dessert as a sweet ending to every meal. In fact, a lot of people would not be satisfied with their meals without taking a bite of their favorite dessert.
However, it can also induce guilt especially for those who are watching their weight. Or those who are monitoring their blood sugar levels.
That said, desserts often have a negative reputation especially for health-conscious individuals. More so, there are also a lot of people would have second thoughts before munching on dessert.
There are fruit options for those who still want to satisfy their sweet tooth. Then again, we will always go back to our childhood favorites.
But no worries. You don’t have to resist your urge to satisfy your dessert cravings. There are still ways to enjoy dessert with less sugar, cholesterol, and guilt. It’s all about using healthier ingredients but will still complete your day with a smile.
Recipe 1: Gluten-Free Choco Chip Cookies
This chocolate chip cookie recipe tastes like your usual cookie, only healthier. It is chewy and sweet and loaded with chunky choco chips. It is easy to make and you will surely love this all-time favorite dessert and snack.
This healthier version of the chocolate chip cookies is also perfect for those who are on a keto or paleo diet. Plus, it’s also great for those with gluten allergies and those who are monitoring their sugar levels. Here are the ingredients you will need for this cheat day recipe.
- 1 ½ cups dark choc chips
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ¾ cup almond meal
- 2 tbsp. vanilla extract
- 1 pc. Egg (if you’re a vegan, you can use flax egg)
- 6 tbsp. maple syrup
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil
- ½ cup almond butter
- Mix the coconut oil, egg, maple syrup, vanilla extract, and almond butter in a bowl for about a minute or until homogenous. Add the baking soda, almond meal, and salt. Stir until everything is mixed up, and then add the choco chips.
- Place the dough mixture in the refrigerator for about an hour, or up to 24 hours max.
- Take out the dough. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Prepare the baking sheet and line it with parchment paper.
- Use a cookie scoop (or an ice cream scoop) to scoop up some cookie dough. Place each scooped dough about two inches apart from each other.
- Bake for about 10 to 12 minutes until the edges become brown and the center part puffs up. The cookies should also flatten out a little bit.
- Cool a little bit. Pour a glass of milk and enjoy your freshly-baked, guilt-free cookies!
Recipe 2: No-bake Peanut Butter Bars
This next recipe is like an adult version of Rice Krispies and S’mores and is perfect for your cheat day. It uses whole-grain cereal, so you will get the fiber – 5g to be exact — your body needs. You will need the following ingredients for this recipe.
- ¼ cup semi-sweet choco chips
- ½ cup dry-roasted peanuts
- 3 cups of wheat square cereal
- 1 tbsp. unsalted peanut butter
- 3 cups standard sized marshmallows
- 1 tbsp. trans-free margarine
- Prepare an 8”x8” baking pan and coat it with cooking spray.
- In a large saucepan, melt the margarine in medium heat. Add the marshmallows and stir for about 4 to 5 minutes. Add the peanut butter and stir until smooth and mixed well.
- Remove the pan from the heat, add the roasted peanuts and cereal, and stir until it is mixed well with the other ingredients.
- Using a rubber spatula, transfer the mixture onto the baking pan. Place another sheet of wax paper and spray with cooking spray on top. Press down the paper to flatten the mixture and let it cool for about 20 minutes.
- Heat some dark choc chips in the microwave for five seconds. Stir for about 20 to 25 minutes or until the chips melt. Drizzle the melted choco chips over the cereal bar.
- Let it cool for about 30 to 35 minutes or until the chocolate hardens a little bit.
Recipe 3: Cheat Day Sundae
Finally! Last on the list is everyone’s all-time childhood favorite – ice cream! The only difference is that it uses healthier ingredients. You will surely appreciate this especially if you are going to make this by yourself. Don’t worry, it’s easy to make.
- 1-pint vanilla ice cream
- 1 cup berries
- ½ cup slivered almonds
- ½ cup berries of your choice
Simply mix all of the ingredients in a bowl or a glass, and you’re good to go! Even your kids can do this! You can also use frozen yogurt instead of ice cream if you want.
These are some healthy, guilt-free desserts you can try next time. They’re easy to make, too!
Let me guess, this is your favorite day of the week? Click HERE for more fantastic ideas for your cheat day.